SELF STORAGE IS THE ANSWER
Pandemic, inflation, let’s face it we are all looking for ways to make the most of these trying times. For many we simply don’t have enough space for our loved ones and all that stuff we’ve accumulated.
Every square foot of our space needs to be maximized. The problem is that there is just not enough room for all the things we possess.
BENEFITS OF SELF STORAGE
One: Self storage is an affordable, low cost solution.
Home prices and rents are out of control. Self storage provides an affordable, low cost solution. Place valuables in self storage, where they will be protected from damage or loss.
- Season items like holiday ornaments, winter clothes, summer clothes, patio furniture, the kayak and the beach umbrella can be safely stowed during the off season.
- Motorcycles, snowmobiles, and lawnmowers all can be stowed away to create more space at home.
- Family heirlooms such as baby pictures, special toys or beloved albums that you can’t part with can be placed in storage.
- Records & Files: Bills, medical records, legal documents and important files that can’t be shredded or discarded can be stowed in storage.
Two: It’s hassle-free with no long term commitments or contracts.
Self storage agreements are typically month to month with no penalties for moving out. In fact, many facilities will prorate your lease so you only pay for the time you are there.
Three: Convenient access 24/7.
Self storage is a convenient and super easy, stress free solution to create more space at home. Many storage facilities have drive up storage units that you can access, any time, any day to easily drop off items and pick up stuff you need.
Four: Peace of mind, 24/7 video surveillance.
Enjoy peace of mind knowing that your unit is monitored by a closed-circuit video surveillance system. Units typically have pest control services, are will lit, with units that are super clean.
TOP TEN SELF STORAGE TIPS
STORAGE TIP #1
Never store food items or combustible materials such as solvents and paints in your storage unit. Perishables attract rodents and insects and combustibles may combust.
STORAGE TIP #2
STORAGE TIP #3
Make sure you label your storage boxes on all sides so you can easily identify what is where. Also create an inventory of your stored items as well as their location to make it easy to find what you need.
STORAGE TIP #4
Place your furniture and appliances on pallets to protect against the changing temperature of the concrete floors. Moisture may seep up and damage your valuables, so be sure to elevate your valuables to ensure they are safe.
- Tables with removable legs should be disassembled to save space.
- Sofas and loveseats can be stored up on end to save floor space.
- Never cover furniture with plastic, use old sheets or blankets. Plastic will retain moisture, making the ideal place to grow mold.
- Store mattresses flat on top of a level stack of boxes or furniture. Or stand the mattresses on its side. Be sure to prop the mattress up so it stands straight, so it doesn’t bend out of shape or become lumpy. Always put a protective barrier between the mattress and the concrete floor.
STORAGE TIP #5
- Fill the entire box but not all with heavy materials so that it won’t be too difficult to carry.
- Use packing material like newspaper or bubble wrap to fill in the gaps. This will prevent the top or sides from crushing.
- Fill the box with the heavy items first and then fill it to capacity with lighter items.
- Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard, marked “Fragile” and stacked on end.
STORAGE TIP #6
Store your mower, motorcycle or ATV properly. Keep your equipment protected and secure to avoid expensive repair bills down the road. Be sure to put a lightweight tarp or a breathable fabric such as an old cotton sheet over your equipment for added protection from dust, dirt, water and other contaminants.
STORAGE TIP #7
Wash, wipe down, and dry everything prior to packing – including clothing, sheets, blankets, curtains, and even furniture. Use wood polish for wood items and condition for leather, and rust protective solvents to prevent any deterioration during storage.
STORAGE TIP #8
Get insurance. Check to see if your renters or homeowners insurance covers personal property in storage. If it doesn’t already, you may be able to add it on or purchase a separate storage insurance plan through the insurance company.
STORAGE TIP #9
Don’t let someone use your unit / keys. Would you let someone drive your car? Don’t do it unless you fully trust the person to take care of your unit.
STORAGE TIP #10
Make sure you’re using the right size storage unit for your needs. Get a unit that is a little bit bigger than your items, so you have room to access things when you need them.
Need more advice? Give us a call and we’ll help you figure it out.
About Montgomery Self Storage
Montgomery Self Storage is your local neighborhood mom and pop self storage center. Making people’s lives easier for 15 years.
Montgomery Self Storage offers indoor and outdoor units. Book a unit online or give us a call. All Units are cleaned and ready for storage.
Montgomery Self Storage follows state and federal guidelines for social distancing and sanitation. The health and safety of our customers and employees is our highest priority.
Please stay safe during your move.
Montgomery Self Storage
9 Factory Street, Montgomery, NY 12549
Phone: (845) 457-6229