Clutter is distracting, stealing time, diminishing productivity and saps energy from you. The New Year is the perfect time to rethink your space and give yourself a fresh start.
Decluttering your life can be overwhelming. Start small— take your time and carefully consider what to get rid of and what makes you happy and gives purpose to your life.
SET A DEADLINE
Set a specific decluttering date. Don’t dither about, nothing ever gets done without making a commitment. Attitude is everything.
HAVE A PLAN
Don’t try and tackle this project over the weekend. Understand that this is a big project, build-in flexibility to ensure you have ample time to get the job done.
- Set reasonable goals based on your available time and stamina. If a whole closet is too intimidating, even as small a task as clearing items from a single drawer or shelf can get you started in the right direction.
- Start one room at a time.
- Break-down the room by categories like shoes, coats, pots and pans, or sports equipment and so on.
- Stay focused. Complete one task before moving onto another room.
- Create four piles: keep, sell, donate and discard.
Turn your clutter into cash. Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and eBay are excellent platforms to sell stuff. Have a yard sale or just hire someone to sell everything for you.
DONATE, DONATE, DONATE
Your local church, Goodwill Store, and the Salvation Army are worthy organizations that will find a good home for your belongings.
ASK FOR HELP
Don’t go it alone, get help from a friend, family member, or an expert who doesn’t have any emotional attachments to your stuff.
DEEP CLEAN & REFRESH
Deep clean the shelves, dressers, carpet, the couch and floors. Give your home a fresh new look by rearranging furniture and putting a fresh coat of paint on the walls.
Get smart about storage and utilize decorative bins and baskets to stow away odds and ends or like-items together.
PURGE, PURGE, PURGE
If it’s broken, torn, ripped, worn out or no longer relevant. Toss it out.
SELF STORAGE HELPS CREATE SPACE
- Self storage can save you money, it’s cheaper than paying more rent for space that you don’t need. There are a wide variety of sizing options to find the perfect self storage unit for your needs.
- Storage units can be short or long term to fit your needs.
- Store and protect those precious memories and sentimental items.
- Store your items in a self-storage that is located conveniently near you.
- Self storage units can help you transition into a downsized lifestyle while allowing you to keep belongings that have sentimental or monetary value.
- A small space typically doesn’t have a garage or spare room where you can keep seasonal items like seasonal clothes, holiday decorations, and tools and sports equipment.
MAKE DECLUTTERING A LIFESTYLE
Set aside time each week to clean and declutter the house. Commit to living a clutter-free space to create more peace and harmony in your life. Understand that making a change takes time, celebrate your successes and stay focused on simplifying your life.
May the new year bless you with health, wealth, and happiness!
About Montgomery Self Storage
Montgomery Self Storage is your local neighborhood mom and pop self storage center. Making people’s lives easier for 15 years.
Enjoy peace of mind knowing that your unit is monitored by a closed-circuit video surveillance system. The facility is routinely checked for pests and all units are well-lit and super-clean.
Montgomery Self Storage follows state and federal guidelines for social distancing and sanitation. The health and safety of our customers and employees is our highest priority.
Please stay safe during your move.
Book a unit online or call our friendly staff.
Montgomery Self Storage
9 Factory Street, Montgomery, NY 12549
Phone: (845) 457-6229