Decluttering your space is stressful. Start out with a plan of what the general idea is of what you are going to organize. Map out when or what the process looks like from start to finish. It may be helpful to ask yourself:
- What is the goal? Declutter the entire house or just the basement?
- What are your expectations? To create more space or to simply create a more orderly space?
- Where are you going to store all the extra stuff? Donate it to charity? Place it in self storage?
Follow these decluttering tips to get you started on organizing your home:
- Start with five minutes at a time. Fill an entire trash bag and call it a day.
- Donate clothes you never wear. To identify them, simply hang all your clothes with hangers in the reverse direction. After wearing an item, face the hanger in the correct direction. Discard the clothes you never touched after a few months.
- Create a decluttering checklist (Refer to the 101 Things To Reduce & Declutter Your Home Checklist Below).
- Take the 3-3-3 challenge. Identify 3 items to throw away, 3 things to donate, and 3 to be returned to their proper home.
- Re-imagine your space. Choose one part of your home, like your kitchen counter. Remove everything to re-imagine what your kitchen can look like.
- You may not be objective on what should stay and what should go. Ask a friend or family member to give their thoughts as to what’s important.
- Use the Four-Box Method. Get four boxes and label them: trash, give away, keep, or re-locate.This will help you see how many items you really own and you’ll know exactly what to do with each item.
- Group similar items together, instead of storing them in multiple places, so you always know where to find them.
- When you buy something new, pledge to get rid of something else to limit items in your home.
- Can’t fit stuff into your space? Think about stowing stuff in self storage. Self Storage is a clean, convenient, low cost solution to storing your valuables.
The process can feel overwhelming, so start out with small stuff first. Pick something super easy to kick start the process. Maybe tackle a kitchen drawer or your bedroom dresser. Focus on the task, it is easy to get distracted with other tasks that demand your attention. Everything else can wait until you are done.
Make your world less stressful.
About Montgomery Self Storage
Montgomery Self Storage is your local neighborhood mom and pop self storage center. Making people’s lives easier for 15 years.
Montgomery Self Storage offers indoor and outdoor units. Book a unit online or give us a call. All Units are cleaned and ready for storage.
Montgomery Self Storage follows state and federal guidelines for social distancing and sanitation. The health and safety of our customers and employees is our highest priority.
Please stay safe during your move.
Montgomery Self Storage
9 Factory Street, Montgomery, NY 12549
Phone: (845) 457-6229