If you’ve never rented a self storage unit before, this guide will break-down how much storage space you’ll need to how to pack and organize your belongings in storage.
SELF STORAGE BASICS
Self storage is a low cost, convenient solution to create more space in your home or temporarily stow valuables while transitioning to a new home.
HOW DOES SELF-STORAGE WORK?
Self-storage facilities provide you with a clean, dry, space conveniently located, that you can rent monthly or annually to meet your storage needs temporarily or long term.
Access – Select a storage center that offers 24/7 access to your storage unit so you can come and go as you please to store or retrieve your belongings. Be sure to secure a unit that provides you with contactless access. That way you can access your valuables directly without having to come in contact with anyone, day or night without an employee to let you in.
Security – Go with a storage facility that has security cameras and systems throughout the storage facility to provide surveillance 24/7.
Cleanliness – Check out a storage center’s reviews from past customers about how clean and dry the units are. If there are any bad reviews, find another facility.
STORAGE UNIT SIZES
Units come in many sizes, if you are not sure of what size unit you’ll need check out our self-storage-size-estimator to guide you. The storage-size-guide provides you the square footage of a storage unit, as well as the types of items that usually fit in each unit.
Most facilities offer units from 5×10, to 10×15, and 10×30 foot units. Still not sure? Contact the facility directly and schedule a time to check out the units first hand.
PACKING YOUR SELF STORAGE UNIT
- Move the biggest items into the storage unit first: furniture, appliances, and mattresses.
- Carefully pack fragile items in bubble wrap or packing paper, and add blankets and/or pillows as cushioning in each box.
- Use small boxes for heavy items, such as books, and don’t overpack anything.
- Label all boxes with their contents and include the original room it came from. Mark the side of each box to quickly identify what you are looking for.
- Group boxes together by room and safely stack vertically.
- Store and stack boxes on pallets or on shelves to create air-flow and guard against potential water damage. organization.
- Create an aisle in the middle of the unit—so you can easily access any of your valuables.
- Rough out a map of the unit, indicating where your belongings are located so you can easily access your stuff.
Learn more about how to pack your storage unit. Get Started Today!
Need help? Call our friendly and professional staff at Montgomery NY Self Storage at (845) 457-6229.
About Montgomery Self Storage
Montgomery Self Storage is your local neighborhood mom and pop self storage center. Making people’s lives easier for 15 years.
Montgomery Self Storage offers indoor and outdoor units. Book a unit online or give us a call. All Units are cleaned and ready for storage.
Montgomery Self Storage follows state and federal guidelines for social distancing and sanitation. The health and safety of our customers and employees is our highest priority.
Please stay safe during your move.
Montgomery Self Storage
9 Factory Street, Montgomery, NY 12549
Phone: (845) 457-6229