As the days get longer and the first signs of spring appear, now is the time to get a start on spring cleaning. During your clean you may find that you have accumulated items that no longer fit into your lifestyle.
SPRING CLEANING GUIDE
Follow this spring cleaning guide as you take a deep dive into getting your space ready for the summer months.
Plan it out ahead of time.
- Create a time table of what days, which rooms will be cleaned. Focus on the rooms that matter most first and work your way about the house. Build in some flexibility as some rooms may take longer to clean.
- Create a checklist of goals for each room (i.e. washing, dusting, vacuuming, sorting, etc.)
- Prepare the cleaning supplies necessary for each room.
- After you create your cleaning schedule and checklist, make sure you have all the necessary cleaning supplies (gloves, sponges, microfiber cloths, wood, metal and upholstery cleaners).
Follow these smart-super-easy cleaning tips:
- Maximize efficiency by cleaning from the top down, dusting and washing ceiling fans and light fixtures first. Then wipe and wash walls, windows, counters, and furniture next. That way you can mop up any fallen debris at the end.
- Try cleaning inside cupboards, shelves, and windows from left to right and then clean outside from the top down. This helps to identify any streaks for areas that you may have missed.
- Take this opportunity to replace smoke detector batteries and remote control devices for the electronic devices and garage door opener. Give everything a good wipe down to eliminate any built up dirt, dust, and grime.
- While clearing your desk and bookshelves be sure to wash everything thoroughly. Don’t overlook giving your books and odds and ends a proper dusting.
- Gather up and organize your paperwork and file important documents as you get ready to prepare your taxes. Once everything is sorted, consider stowing your files in self storage.
- Pull out kitchen appliances washing the sides and around the floor. Get some oven cleaner and take the toaster outside and shake out all the bread crumbs.
- With all the walls and floors exposed during your deep clean, you may decide to paint or thoroughly shampoo the carpets. Temporarily place your furniture into a self storage unit. Many storage facilities prorate their fees, so you only pay for the time you need.
- When cleaning mattresses and other furniture, lay down a tarp outside and place the bedding and upholstery outside on a clear sunny day for a few hours. The sun’s ultraviolet radiation helps eradicate mold, mildew and any insects nesting in your upholstery.
- Tackling the bedroom is a big job. Start by washing everything so that your clothes are fresh. While sorting through your clothes, take time to sew on buttons and/or stitch up tears. Then consider what no longer fits, or stuff you don’t wear anymore. Donate or sell your stuff online. Free up more space by placing your season clothes in self storage.
- Remove all the clutter from your basement, garage and attic. Pull out the lawn furniture, the snow blower, snow shovels and garden tools.
- Give everything a deep clean.
- Then sort stuff out by season and function.
- Now before putting everything back consider putting seasonal items in self storage that way you will have more free space.
Check the HVAC filters for the furnace, air conditioners and ducts to get rid of all that dust that has accumulated over the winter months. And finally breathe fresh air back into your home by opening up the doors and windows to let the sun in while you clean!
About Montgomery Self Storage
Montgomery Self Storage is your local neighborhood mom and pop self storage center. Making people’s lives easier for 15 years.
Montgomery Self Storage offers indoor and outdoor units. Book a unit online or give us a call. All Units are cleaned and ready for storage.
Montgomery Self Storage follows state and federal guidelines for social distancing and sanitation. The health and safety of our customers and employees is our highest priority.
Please stay safe during your move.
Montgomery Self Storage
9 Factory Street, Montgomery, NY 12549
Phone: (845) 457-6229