Storing stuff can be stressful, start with a plan. Once you’ve determined what is going to storage, plan on what goes where.
Follow these ten super smart tips to make the most of your storage space.
- Place the most frequently used items near the front of your storage unit. This makes it easy to assess needed items without having to go through the unit to get what you need.
- Label boxes and keep a list of items and where they are located saving you time and stress.
- Go vertical. Install shelving to help organize your unit. Stack boxes safely on shelves to alleviate the crushing weight that will ultimately destroy the boxes and possibly the contents therein.
- Place large, heavy items on the ground and stack lighter boxes on top to prevent crushing the box’s contents.
- Store the largest items along the outer walls and stand bulky items such as couches, dressers, or bed frames on-end to maximize vertical space.
Pro Tip: Be sure to break-down furniture by removing the legs from tables, disassembling bed frames, etc.
- Consider how you will stow awkwardly-sized items that won’t stack well (placement should factor in how often you will need to use them, and how heavy they are).
Pro Tip: Add an additional layer of protection by laying protective canvas sheeting, cardboard or wooden boards to mitigate any moisture that may form on the unit’s floor.
- Leave aisles between different rows of items so you’ll still be able to access everything.
Pro Tip: Keep a fold-up step stool in your space to access hard-to-reach items.
- Properly wrap furniture to protect valuables from dirt, dust, mold, mildew, and infestation.
Pro Tip: Use mattress and sofa slips and cover wooden furniture to keep items clean, dust-free, as well as from scratches.
- Gather up all your garden rakes, snow shovels and brooms and put them inside garbage cans to keep things organized.
- Never store mirrors or framed artwork flat, as they are more susceptible to damage.
Pro Tip: Furniture drawers are good for storing fragile items as well as clothes.
Planning, prepping, and setting up your unit is well worth the effort saving you time and money. Have peace of mind knowing that your items are properly packed, conveniently accessible and well preserved.
Need advice on what storage space will meet your needs? Give us a call and we’ll help you figure it out.
About Montgomery Self Storage
Montgomery Self Storage is your local neighborhood mom and pop self storage center. Making people’s lives easier for 15 years.
Montgomery Self Storage offers indoor and outdoor units. Book a unit online or give us a call. All Units are cleaned and ready for storage.
Montgomery Self Storage follows state and federal guidelines for social distancing and sanitation. The health and safety of our customers and employees is our highest priority.
Please stay safe during your move.
Montgomery Self Storage
9 Factory Street, Montgomery, NY 12549
Phone: (845) 457-6229