Store seasonal items that aren’t used during the winter, and make sure to protect those belongings from winter-related damage.
COMMON USES FOR WINTER STORAGE
Storing seasonal items is a smart solution that saves space in your home. Store these seasonal items during the winter months:
- Summer Clothing
- Lawn Equipment
- Sporting Gear
- Season Vehicles (Convertible, ATV, Motorboat)
Another reason to use self storage during the winter is if you plan on vacationing for the winter in a warmer climate. Or if you’re moving to a new home or apartment. A storage unit can provide you with a safe space to store belongings till your back from the winter or when your new home is ready.
ITEMS THAT CAN BE DAMAGED BY EXPOSURE TO COLD
Prolonged exposure to freezing temperatures can severely damage to select items. Don’t store valuable that are not well suited for the cold:
- Electronics / Battery Operated Items — Fluctuating temperatures can create condensation inside electronics, causing irreparable damage.
- Items That Include Liquid — Anything that has liquid in it already can crack due to expansion from freezing.
WINTER STORAGE TIPS
- Storing the car? If you plan on leaving the car to sit over winter, take the battery out and top off fluids.
- Plastic patio furniture can become brittle and faded after a season in the sun. Make it look like new with a fresh coat of paint.
- Wicker and wood items can be treated the same when cleaning.
- Label boxes of clothes so you stay organized and know exactly which box to open when you are searching for something mid-season.
- Mold and mildew will grow on damp equipment, so make sure all items are fully dry before winter storage.
- After sitting for a few months, the lawn mower can be slow to start. Ensure a smooth start in the spring, drain the gas tank, clean off debris, and top of the oil.
About Montgomery Self Storage
Montgomery Self Storage is a family run business. They are on the premises where your valuables are stored. They routinely look after your valuables and monitor the storage units with 24/7 security cameras.
Montgomery Self Storage is safe offering indoor and outdoor units. They are conveniently located right off of route 84 and route 17K just minutes from Stewart Airport in the village of Montgomery. The community is super safe as are your valuables.