Declutter your space. Get rid of items that you no longer want, need, or use. Whether you want to free up space in your home or you’re transitioning into a new apartment, renting a storage unit offers many advantages. And the process can be super easy when you plan ahead.
Everyone agrees that the more clutter in your space, the more stress. Move belongings that you don’t use everyday into a self storage unit.
There are many ways renters can alleviate some of the stresses that come along with moving into self storage. Follow this self storage checklist to make the move a stress-free experience.
STRESS FREE STORAGE TIP SHEET
Start researching self storage facilities in your area and reserve a storage unit in advance in order to guarantee availability.
DeClutter Your Space
Simplify your life and eliminate unnecessary clutter. Sort through everything you’ve got in the attic, the basement or the garage. Now get rid of stuff . . .
- Have a garage sale, or sell it online. Hello eBay!
- Simply donate the stuff that you no longer want to Goodwill.
- Anything else goes in the trash.
Now Let’s Get Organized . . .
We all have valuables that sit in boxes but we can’t part with. And most of us have clothes and big toys that we only use seasonally.
Create an environment of serenity, stow away and to free up some space. Start with the small stuff and then work your way up to the big stuff.
- Sort the clothing that you wear quite frequently,
- And then create another pile for other things that are just for special occasions or you don’t wear much at all.
- Upon storing your clothes you MUST keep your clothes dry. Make sure they are clean and dry before you put them away.
Be super careful when packing frames and mirrors. Use bubble wrap or blankets to minimize breakage and invest in some cardboard corners for the edges of the frames and the mirrors. Label these as fragile so you are sure to take extra care when moving or opening up those boxes.
Now that you’ve got everything sorted and packed it’s time to consider what goes where.
- Prepare. Stage all your items so that you can seamlessly transport your stuff to your unit with little to no stress.
- Don’t try and move everything in one day.
- Store the big stuff first.
- Organize your space so you can get to what you need with ease.
- Keep the things you may need closer to the front.
- Make a map, so you can find what you need with ease.
And take it easy. Treat yourself to a nice dinner, a bottle of wine, or pizza and a movie. You deserve it!
About Montgomery Self Storage NY
Montgomery Self Storage is located in the “picture postcard” village of Montgomery, NY. We have been serving the greater Hudson Valley since 2005. Our facility is new and growing thanks to the high demand for self storage.
Being family owned and operated enables us to be more flexible and competitive with our pricing.
Our facility is located right off Route 17K and is surrounded by local shops and restaurants. Our location enables you to multitask in our lovely village! We offer great specials. We look forward to serving you!