Long Term Self Storage Tips
Long term storage differs from short term storage in a number of ways. Storage units are rented for short term needs such as moving or storing items during a remodeling project. Or for long term needs such as military deployment, or an extended out-of-town job assignment.
Self-storage units clean, convenient and a low cost solution to give you peace of mind that your possessions are safe and secure.
Before you start stowing away your valuables, be sure to pack your space properly for long-term storage. Packing for long-term requires making sure all of your valuables are well protected so that they can remain in storage without incurring any damage.
Follow these packing tips to keep your items safe and sound, no matter how long you place them in storage.
What to Put in Storage?
First and foremost is determining what is going into storage. For some, it may be storing seasonal items like outdoor furniture and for others it may be packing away your entire apartment.
Storage units are available in many sizes to meet your storage needs.
There are drive up units that you can stow your car in or smaller units to store furniture or other items that you can’t part with.
What to keep and what to donate or throw away? Ask yourself:
- Will you need or use this ever again?
- Is it functional and convenient?
- What is it’s overall condition? If it’s broken, throw it out.
- Can you buy this item again or is it something that is of high value?
- Will it store well? Is it fragile and susceptible to damage?
- Is it an antique, a piece of art or a family heirloom that can’t be replaced?
Now that you’ve determined what to store, you now know how much space you’ll need.
Packing Tips for Long-Term Storage
It is critical to carefully pack your valuables for long-term storage.
- Make sure fragile items are well packed. Wrap fragile items carefully in bubble wrap or newsprint and make sure to fill the box up with filler material
- Use new sturdy boxes for long term storage.
- Boxes should be stacked correctly. Keep boxes and furniture off the floor whenever possible. Improperly storing your items, even for the short term, can result in damage.
- Never pack items in plastic bags as plastic can induce moisture build-up inside the bag.
- Label boxes with the contents and create a master inventory list of items in storage. Keep a copy of the list inside the storage unit.
- Thoroughly clean appliances before moving and storage. Vacuum fabric furniture and brush to remove any excess dirt. Then apply furniture polish. This will seal the wood and slow the advances of mold.
- Cover the upholstery on furniture with clean 100% cotton white sheets. Do not use dark colored sheets as these could bleed color onto the stored items if there is moisture in the storage unit.
- Place items above the ground on shelving units or pallets to create airflow as well as any flooding.
Self storage is a great home storage solution for short-term and long-term storage needs. By properly preparing your items for storage, you will be able to store your belongings safely for many months or years.
With a wide range of different sized storage options and year round access available, Montgomery Self Storage has a solution for needs. Montgomery Self Storage is a family run business with 24/7 video surveillance around the entire facility.
SOCIAL DISTANCING: No worries, call us to rent a unit. We’ll do everything over the phone. All Units are cleaned and ready for storage. Give us a call.
About Montgomery Self Storage
Please stay safe during your move. Montgomery Self Storage follows state and federal guidelines for social distancing and sanitation. The health and safety of our customers and employees is our highest priority. We clean each unit and sanitize all locks prior to renting our units.
Montgomery Self Storage can rent you a unit by leaving your lock and contract in your unit. Simply sign and drop off your papers and payment. We take all necessary precautions to ensure the safety of everyone who rents a unit.
Montgomery Self Storage is a family run business. They are on the premises where your valuables are stored. They routinely look after your valuables and monitor the storage units with 24/7 security cameras.
Montgomery Self Storage offerings indoor and outdoor units. They are conveniently located right off of route 84 and route 17K just minutes from Stewart Airport in the village of Montgomery. The community is super safe as are your valuables.
Montgomery Self Storage
9 Factory Street, Montgomery, NY 12549